2016 Texas Hill Country Bike Tours “Wildflower” Tour
SELF-SUPPORTED GROUP RIDE
May 13th – 19th
Come ride the Texas Hill Country during wildflower season with other amateurs.
Self Supported x 7 Days -Stay tuned!
Here is the route map on RideWithGPS: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8809562
UPDATED on (02/01/2016) Your Reservations needed at Texas State Parks, Kerrville Schreiner Campground, and Flat Rock Ranch (see links below):
(Please stay tuned for updates on potentially-added features at locations)
- Make reservations for campsites, two tents allowed per site at Inks Lake State Park. You can get a hot shower near the cabins.
- Primitive sites are only $11.00 at Inks Lake. ______________________________________
For the 2016 ride, Enchanted Rock is booked full on May 14th, so we will stay at the Oxford Ranch Campground at CR315 / SH16. They have full hookups, or unlimited primitive camping with showers and water.
- All riders must make a reservation>> http://texas.reserveworld.com/Home.aspx
- Enchanted Rock has lots of available sites but the place FILLS UP FAST by people planning their visits during wildflower season. Now is the time to make a reservation for Enchanted Rock! I recommend stopping at HEB in Kingsland for any supplies you need the next 45 miles.
- IMPORTANT: There are no facilities between Kingsland and Enchanted Rock on this route. However, you can stop at Oxford Ranch CG near the CR315/SH16 intersection. Just North of the intersection, you can enter their park. If you choose to camp there it was only $7.00 last time. They have showers, RV sites with power, open camping on 160 acres. They have a water spigot in case you need to refill, and are very friendly people. Oxford Ranch on fb
- This ride leaves Enchanted Rock, and takes the rider over one steep long climb on FM965. After topping that hill, look left for Lower Crabapple Rd. That is the prettiest, and best ride to Fredricksburg. The road takes riders between FM965 and SH16, and into the old city of Fredricksburg. There’s lots to do and see there, and full services, including a bicycle shop.
- Leaving Fredricksburg on SH16 southbound, watch for and turn left at Bolm Road, then cross the river and stay to the right. Follow the map and this route take riders on a very picturesque adventure to near Comfort, then onto the ACA route to Kerrville-Schreiner Park in Kerrville where you will find full services, including … a great bike shop.
- Open 8-5. Make your reservation!
- Here they have tent camping sites, RV camping and cabins along the Guadalupe River.
- Close to town, all services, and a nearby pizza place.
Riders, make your reservations! They have quite a few sites still available and AMPLE overflow area camping. Electric sites are near the cold showers. More info to come. This ride takes you along the Guadalupe River and out through Hunt, Texas where you will want to stop at the little store and refresh yourself, getting water and food for the overnight at Lost Maples SP where they sell…. nothing. But the camping is great!
This is a beautiful ride of course. No cell coverage in that park though. So before that last long downhill, stop at the rest area and make a call while you take in the view.
- Flat Rock Ranch is a great place to camp out. It is three miles up from the highway. But what you may need in Comfort!
- They have an honor box. They have hot showers and camping. It is a mountain bike destination, private campground. Please contact them about your participation if you are going on this tour. Keep the gate close please. They have some livestock. Thank you!
This ride take you past the Old Tunnel SP, and into old Luckenbach, Texas. Get a cold beer and BBQ sandwich there. It’s a great place!
This route will then go to SH290 where there is some shoulder. Please please please, STAY TO THE RIGHT and use your rear view mirror. There is some fast traffic but I had good luck with motorists, who I could see moving over. BTW I recommend the mirror I use: See SafeZoneMirror.com
A stop along the Pedernales River at Stonewall is nice, and takes you away from SH290 along a quiet Texas Hwy 1. You’ll be back on 290 for a while until Johnsonville, where the 290 Cafe makes the best Chicken Fried Steak I ever tasted. Are you sore yet? They have a liquor store 🙂
Riding East of Johnson City, you will soon be at Pedernales State Park where a shower and cocktail of your bringing with sooth those muscles before the last day’s ride tomorrow morning along Fitzhugh Rd.
Day 7: Pedernales Falls SP to starting point Avery Ranch Golf Club 49.1 miles. See Map. There is a shorter route, but I prefer not to ride Hamilton Pool Rd. #Safety!
Total estimated miles: 384
Disclaimer: BicycleTouristClub is not an incorporated entity or a business. We are an ad-hoc group of friends who ride together on bikepacking trips and self-supported bicycle tours. Anyone may join or ride with us. We are not a political or fundraising organization. Participants of these rides nor our “sponsors” agree to hold one another harmless and take full personal responsibility for our well-being.
Follow updates on Twitter @THCBikeTours
Contact: THCBikeTours@gmail.com or Randall (512) 796-5339
THCBikeTours, ℅ Randall Stephens POB 170189 Austin, TX 78717